Specific Waste Treatments
Biohazardous waste (infectious biomedical waste and/or related infectious biomedical waste) in:
- Hospital labs
- Microbiology, virology, bacteriology, etc. labs
- Clinical testing labs
- Clinical microbiology labs
- Teaching labs
- Quality control labs in the pharmaceutical/cosmetic/agricultural & food industries
- Biosafety labs (P2, P3, P4)
- R&D labs
- Veterinary labs
- Environmental control labs (water, air, waste)
- Anatomic pathology and cytopathology labs
- Autopsy rooms
- Human or veterinary health public or private research facilities
- Animal research centers
- Pet stores and animal health clinics
- Biotech labs and manufacturing facilities
- Vaccine and other biotech product manufacturing facilities
- Mobile labs (independent containers/modules)
- Medical/diagnostic device manufacturers
Specific nature of laboratory/research biohazardous waste
In these facilities, liquid biohazardous waste is handled in the form of blood, culture media, gel media, waste from automated analyzers. This generates heavy lab waste with a high kg/L density (mass to volume ratio).
In general, lab waste is packaged in bags (that may be autoclaved or not), biohazardous waste containers or drums.
To dispose of analytic, research or manufacturing biohazardous waste, prior treatment is often required by law, regulation and/or local guidelines in many countries.
In this case, waste is previously decontaminated in a sterilization autoclave. Autoclaving in a sterilizer reduces the starting microbial load, however often biohazardous waste is often packaged in hermetic containers that do not let the steam penetrate fully, so complete decontamination of this waste is not guaranteed.
Highly contaminating biohazardous waste
Research and analysis activities produce waste with a particularly high risk of infection due to the presence of pathogens, often in high concentrations.
Some facilities may also produce biocontaminated waste containing or likely to contain highly pathogenic micro-organisms, such as:
- Class 2, 3 or 4 micro-organisms (NSB 2, NSB 3, NSB 4)
- Non-conventional transmissible agents (NCTA) - prions
- Genetically modified organisms (GMO)
Some examples of analysis, research or manufacturing waste
In analysis, research or production activities, infectious waste is commonly known as related biohazardous waste.
Biologically contaminated waste from analysis, research or manufacturing activities is made up largely of single-use material that must be destroyed:
- Plastic or glass lab consumables: Petri dishes, test tubes, collection tubes, pipettes, etc.
- Contaminated single-use material: PPE, tapes, coveralls, goggles, masks, caps, shoe covers, etc.
- Sharps: needles, syringes, blades, slides, etc.
- Bio-pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment
- Surgical instruments
- Liquid biohazardous waste
- Anatomical waste, animal carcasses and by products (depending on local regulations)
- Waste from manufacturing batches or R&D on medical devices (MD)
Public research lab in France (INSERM-CNRS) that handles GMOs
Type of waste treated: Single-use lab material (pipettes, Petri dishes, etc.), small surgical instruments
Advantages: Shredding reduces the volume of waste by 65%, and sterilization at 135 °C/275 °F neutralizes the risks of GMOs according to the recommendations of the HCB (Haut Conseil des Biotechnologies).
Tesalys' STERIPLUS™ system can be used instead of an autoclave in destroying/inactivating lab waste, instead of classic sterilizers. STERIPLUS™ built-in shredder ensures perfect penetration of the steam through the waste and consequently, more significant neutralization of any biological risk.
To dispose of analytic, research or manufacturing biohazardous waste,
- Solid and liquid biohazardous waste treatment
- Shredding and decontamination stages in the same equipment
- Solid waste physically transformed (shredding)
- Decontamination by autoclave (steam sterilization at 135 °C/275 °F)
- Steam penetrates the waste core thanks to prior shredding
- Complete treatment cycle in 30 min
- Weight/volume of waste to dispose significantly reduced
- Easily installed on-site
Animal health vaccine manufacturer, Eastern European site
Type of waste treated: Roller bottles for cell culture
Advantages: The integrated shredding and sterilization system enables it to process large quantities of bottles within the same manufacturing site.
P3 mobile lab in combating Ebola in Africa
Type of waste treated: Potentially contaminated patient samples, single-use diagnostic and analysis material
Advantages: The compact and easy-to-install STERIPLUS™ system can be placed in a container to treat highly pathogenic material on-site.
European manufacture of medical devices for blood testing
Use: Destruction of manufacturing tools and contaminated non-conforming batches
Advantages: On-site destruction using shredding and autoclaving ensures decontamination but also protects the confidentiality and intellectual property (IP) of medical devices or patented manufacturing tools.
STERIPLUS TM SYS
STERIPLUS™ was specially designed to be installed as closed to the biohazardous waste generation site as possible, thus reducing the risk associated with storage, transport and disposal. The main features of STERIPLUS™ include:
- 1- Reduces contamination by 6 log10 with an autoclaving cycle of steam at 135 °C/275 °F
(reduces bacterial spores by 8 log10)
- 2- Waste loading chamber: Automatic steam decontamination between cycles
- 3- Shredder feed system: Fully sealed and automatic, with waste level detection
- 4- TESASHRED™ shredder: Unique shredding system. Transforms waste into unrecognizable
8-10 mm pieces
- 5- Reduces solid waste by up to 80% in volume, up to 50% in weight
- 6- Liquid waste and effluents decontaminated before disposed of down the drain
- 7- Air released filtered by a 0.2 µm filter
- 8- Water softener, water booster pump and air compressor incorporated
- 9- Inlet water pre-filtering system
- 10- Ventilation of the electrical cabinet
- 11- Full traceability of the treatment cycle via built-in printer
Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium totam rem aperiam eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi.
Ea commodi consequatur quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla.
Voici l'endroit pour votre texte. Cliquez ici et commencez à taper.To avoid the costs and risks associated with biohazardous waste storage and transport, particularly for health care providers that generate "small" volumes, we have developed the Tesalys STERIPLUS™ System range with the following objectives:
- Ease of use for waste generators
- Can be installed wherever required, as close as possible to the waste generation site
- Respects time limits for biohazardous waste generation and disposal
- Uses advanced, easy-to-validate technology
- Adapts its capacity to the quantity of waste to dispose of
- Can manage small "on-the-spot" flow of waste
- Requires moderate investment/budget
Particular thought was given to "green" design concepts: apart from treating the air and effluents produced by the equipment, the system consumes very little electricity and water, thanks to heat-recovery mechanisms.
Tesalys STERIPLUS™ System is a disinfection pre-treatment solution for biohazardous waste, according to the French standard NF X30-503.
It is a sterilizer (autoclave) with an integrated shredder, which first shreds the waste before performing an autoclave cycle with steam at 135 °C/275 °F.
Once treated with STERIPLUS™, biohazardous waste is transformed into waste similar to municipal solid waste that can be destroyed like any other inert industrial waste or household waste.
Tesalys STERIPLUS™ System performs all steps in a sealed unit, ensuring complete safety for operators and the environment.
The efficacy of the STERIPLUS™ System has been tested under various aspects:
- Microbiological efficacy of the decontamination cycle: reduced to 8 log10
- Revival of processed waste: analysis of non-recontamination after 28 days' incubation
- Physical transformation of the waste (shredder efficacy): cut into pieces between 8-15 mm.
- Environmental efficacy: treatment of the air released by the system through a microbiological filter; treatment of liquid effluents released from the system at 135 °C/275 °F